Today I have five new African cichlids waiting patiently (for now) in their bags floating in the tank. After recent fish loss that I put down to a low pH and kH, it will be good to replenish the population.
Maidenhead Aquatics in Appley Bridge tested the water and told me it was in good shape but I needed to gradually up the kH over a week as it was at 5. They keep their stock at 5 so the new fish should acclimatise well then join the others in enjoying the increasing kH levels.
The new additions:
1 x electric blue hap
1 x red fin kadango
1 x fusco hap
1 x albino peacock
1 x mystery fish – they are getting back to me on the proper name!
I hope all you fish keepers out there are enjoying your weekend.
The video shows the poor female Taiwan Reef cichlid with nibbled tail and the new (smaller and less colourful) female swimming nearby. She has been followed by a male and a bit harassed by the dolphin but I hope she will make a difference…
The new three have only been added this afternoon so I hope they all get along. Even though they are cichlids and a bit moody. Or a lot moody.
Please excuse the footy commentary, etc in the background. Not very professional I know…
Hi there, I have been very neglectful of my fish keeping blog but you’ll be pleased to know that I haven’t neglected the fish!
The cichlid tank contains the following:
1 x yellow lab
1 x cuckoo catfish
1 x pleco
1 x yellow peacock
1 x OB peacock
1 x dolphin cichlid
3 x zebras
3 x Taiwan reef
3 x white tailed acei (+6 babies)
This morning I noticed one of the Taiwan Reef fish has had a serious tail attack and the poor thing was quite paled out in colouring and hiding, while the other two were flaunting themselves in full bright colours. Maidenhead Aquatics (at Appley Bridge near Wigan) advised that this may be a lone female being hassled by two males or is perhaps carrying eggs in her mouth so is behaving in a more passive manner and is weaker at the moment. The solution (hopefully) is a new female to join the gang and a long piece of pipe work for the tailless wonder to hide in.
We also bought two others as I couldn’t resist but that’s another tale for another time.
I’ve noticed a number of times recently that the clown loaches are nibbling around the apple snails. The snails are winning so far by clamping shut quickly and waiting until the coast is clear but I’m not sure they will survive the rapidly growing mouths of the clowns. They made short work of the mini snail infestation a while ago. The clowns are venturing out even more than usual now they have rainbow buddies, it’s great to see them and the scissor tailed Rasboras as part of a mega-shoal (technical fishkeeping term)!
The new fish are doing well so far, one of the four rainbows has turned distinctly orangey red, the mini rainbows are a lovely sparkling blue and the flag cichlids are happily following one another around. I noticed yesterday the larger cichlid has a small lump under its chin. I have no idea why but will keep an eye on it.
In the second photo you should be able to see Nancy the bristlenose suckered onto the bogwood with a zebra snail friend. She’s a buxom beauty.
I did a partial water change on Sunday before introducing the new fish, another mid week and also today. I am aware I have introduced a large bio load by adding so many fish at once so the least I can do is keep an eye on the water quality.
I was convinced my three female platys were pregnant, as Randy had chased them around a lot waggling his pointy fin. Plus they all grew bigger bellies. There hasn’t been any sign of fry so perhaps I am mistaken, maybe Randy hasn’t actually caught up with any of the ladies…maybe the girls eat a lot…maybe the fry have already popped out and been eaten?? But Lemony, Netty and Minnie do still have big bellies. The pic shows Minnie, Lemony and Randy.
I did a water change yesterday using water from the cold tap in a couple of buckets, with added boiling water from the kettle. I tested the temperature with a glass thermometer and it was the same as the tank water. I added Aqua Plus to remove the chlorine of course before adding to the tank. I’ll do it that way again as it was better than leaving a couple of buckets of water under the dining table overnight to get up to room temperature – an accident waiting to happen as I am very clumsy! I wiped the sides of the tank with a sponge and trimmed a couple of leaves from the plants that were covered in hairy algae. I think this might be growing as we have had a rare bit of English sun which falls on the tank. No brit sunshine any more so hopefully the algae will reduce.
Lastly, I’m planning a trip to the fish shop this weekend. More fish! More fish! More fish!